Navy Geek

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The Importance Of Math In The Navy

I was always told that math was going to be important after school, but I never really realized that I would be using math for much of anything until I joined the Navy.

As an OS my job is to navigate, so we do tons of math. One of the more important things I do with math is finding the position of the ship. If shipboard electronic devices fail and we have no other way to figure out our position we have to use math operations to compute the speed of the ship and the distance traveled in a certain amount of time in order to figure out our position. One little mistake could cause the ship to go into a dangerous area.

Math is also used when trying to find the heading of the ship, the heading of other ships, fixing compasses and many other things. So, even if you don’t like math, or if you think “hey I am never going to need this in real life” think again, you never know where your life will take you.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • I guarantee that my life is taking me nowhere near the Navy. So screw Math.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At November 5, 2007 at 7:08 PM  

  • John I'd like to know exactly how much math is needed in working as an OS... that is the rating I plan on choosing also and I want to know everything there is about it man?

    - Kerry Ophelien (enlisted, shipping to boot camp)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At December 26, 2007 at 10:54 PM  

  • So, what is the ships position? The missionary one?

    By Blogger Skeptigirl, At May 17, 2010 at 2:00 AM  

  • Not sure what you're asking there, finding the position means finding our geographical location. We can fo this without electronics by using the speed, time, distance formula. If you know how fast you're going and how long you've been going you know how far you traveled. If you add a direction to that then you have the estimated position of where you are relative to your last position.

    By Blogger John, At May 17, 2010 at 7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home